Superb 19th century country house carefully renovated to provide extensive accommodation
Monmouth 1.6 miles Abergavenny 18 miles
Newport 26 miles (trains from London in 1 hr 46 minutes)
Cheltenham 38 miles Cardiff 38 miles
Bristol Airport 56 miles London 153 miles
There are good connections to the main road network with the historic border town of Monmouth being just over 1 mile away.
The town boasts excellent schools including Haberdashers independent boys and girls schools, Llangattock School Monmouth with Montessori Nursery, a selection of primary schools and recently rebuilt Monmouth Comprehensive School.
Monmouth also offers up-market traditional shopping, with boutique shops, Waitrose Supermarket, M&S, The Savoy Theatre and an extensive range of recreational and leisure facilities.
An abundance of tourism and recreational activities exist within Monmouth and the wider region, especially within the beautiful Wye Valley which is on the doorstep.
The Brecon Beacons National Park is located to the North of Abergavenny, Tintern Abbey, Raglan Castle, the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal and Chepstow Castle are all easily accessible.
There are a number of good pubs and restaurants in the immediate area and further afield. These include The Angel and The Hardwick - plus Michelin starred eateries The Walnut Tree and The Whitebrook.
The Ancre Hill is understood to have originally been a Welsh long house, dating back to around 1700. Major additions and remodelling were undertaken by the Georgians in around 1820. In 1880, a local solicitor inherited the house and oversaw significant renovation works including adding a second floor and revisions to the façade. There is a date stone on the house of 1881. The billiard room was added in 1905. The property was bought in 1998 by the current owners who spent six years renovating the house which is a wonderful family home overlooking the surrounding countryside.
Main House Accommodation Ground Floor
Ancre Hill is a magnificent house set in an elevated position overlooking the Wye Valley. It includes grand and formal rooms as well as cosy areas and a Mark Wilkinson Cook's kitchen at its heart. The house has been renovated throughout by the current owners and retains many original features such as ornate plasterwork, marble fireplaces, wooden and tiled floors, and the original window shutters.
A grand Entrance Hall with its original Victorian tiled floor welcomes you into the house. From the Entrance Hall, stairs lead down to a vaulted brick wine cellar. To the front of the house, with magnificent far reaching views are a number of large reception rooms. These include a Dining Room with marble fireplace, a Study with ornate cornicing depicting grapes and vines, a Drawing Room which is a formal sitting room with a marble fireplace and a Morning Room, a less formal sitting room which benefits from the morning sun.
At the heart of the house, overlooking the pool and west facing gardens is a large kitchen with a flagstone floor, central island, aga, seating area and log burner. Adjacent to this is an Orangery with doors out into the garden, terrace and pool. There is a Utility Room, Boot Room and Cloak Room. To the southern end of the house, with its own entrance is a large Snooker Room, which is understood to have been added in 1905. It has a Cedar wood floor made from a tree from Ancre Hill's garden. The house has two staircases, the main stairs lead up from the Entrance Hall and are pitch pine with an Oak hand rail.
On the first floor there are two en suite bedrooms including an impressive Main Suite with superb views, en suite bathroom and dressing room. There are two further bedrooms each with their own bathroom on the first floor.
Stairs lead up to the second floor which has two spacious bedrooms with oak floors and exposed oak trusses; both of these bedrooms have en suite bathrooms.
Gardens & Grounds
A long private drive winds up to a turning circle in the front of the main house. In front of the east facing Georgian façade, there are a variety of beds and large expanses of lawn. To the rear of the house is a Mediterranean style garden with yukkas, palms, cypress and fig trees surrounding the outdoor heated pool. The garden includes a pergola adorned with rambling roses, wisteria and scented honeysuckle. Beds include a wonderful display of tulips in the Spring as well as perennials. In all, the property extends to about 3.5 acres (stms – subject to measured survey).
Large Garden Room
Along the western edge is a Garden Room, which is used for entertaining and events. With its terracotta tiled floor, glass doors and electric heating, it can easily seat 25-30 people.
Converted stable block – 1 bedroom self-contained cottage
Along the northern boundary of the garden, is a converted brick stable block under a slate roof which provides ancillary accommodation. The accommodation comprises an open plan kitchen, sitting room, master bedroom and shower room. The property is presented to a very high standard and has limed oak floors.
3 Bay Cart Shed
Next to it is a three bay cart shed under a slate roof that is a pretty sheltered area overlooking the garden.
Converted two storey barn: Potential cottage/leisure/office building.
Adjacent is a converted barn over two floors with a bar and kitchen area that has the potential to use as a home office, leisure building or further accommodation (stp).
4 bay garage
Attached is a 4 bay brick garage with electric up and over doors, the building was rebuilt in 2001.
Photographs taken summer 2019.
Acreage: 3.5 Acres