A sympathetically and dramatically extended farmhouse, steeped in history, set in an intimate landscape of great beauty and around 8 acres of formal landscaped gardens, stabling, outbuildings and pasture land.
This bespoke light and airy and spacious home has an abundance of character installed yet still retains much of the original charm and features of the original farmhouse. Our clients have painstakingly sourced many old fixtures with a history of their own. To mention a few these include beautiful granite pillars to the entrance portico, reclaimed slate roof, original flagstone slate floor, and a Portland stone fireplace to the sitting room. Walls have been taken back to the bare stone and cob and rendered in lime plaster, as done originally in the olden days.Internally, the family sized accommodation comprises 6 bedrooms, 6 bath / shower rooms and 5 reception rooms that flow beautifully yet allow versatility to cater for modern day family needs as well as provide a careful balance of informal and formal living space.
Externally, there has been a high level of expenditure on the surrounding gardens with hard landscaping to provide inter-connecting levels of lawn as well as an outdoor heated swimming pool encased by the original stone buildings of the original small holding.One outbuilding has been converted to excellent stabling for three horses together with separate hay barn and tack room in the courtyard whilst there remains a derelict outbuilding. Both outbuildings have the potential for ancillary accommodation, subject to any planning consents, to provide an income via potential holiday letting.The views from the property are inspiring and capture the beautiful landscape. Equally, this very private home is conveniently located to many local beautiful beaches, delightful walks, local boatyards as well as the facilities of Truro, the Cathedral city of Cornwall.
The Accommodation in brief.
Ground Floor: Pillared Entrance Portico; Main Reception Hall; Drawing Room; Sitting Room; Study; En Suite / WC; Orangery; Dining Room; Rear Hall; Cloakroom; Kitchen / Breakfast Room; Utility Room.First Floor: Served by two staircases: Main Landing; 6 Bedrooms; 5 En Suite; Family Bathroom; Inner Landing.Outside: Formal Landscaped Gardens; Swimming Pool with Ancillary Outbuildings; Courtyard with Derelict Barn; Converted Barn with Open Shed; Connecting 2 Stores; Paddocks surrounding, (in all around 8 acres).
Location summary (distances and times are approximate)
Truro: 12 miles via car ferry. St Mawes: 11 miles. Portholland Beach: 2 miles. Caerhays Castle: 3 miles. Carne Beach : 5 miles. Newquay Airport: 20 miles with flights to London Gatwick (70 minutes), and Manchester (80 minutes). St Austell: 10 miles with London Paddington 4 hours by rail. Plymouth: 48 miles. Exeter: 84 miles.
The privately owned Caerhays Estate offers beautiful natural gardens and was designed by John Nash around 200 years ago. Both the building and its occupants have played significant roles in the history of Cornwall.
East and West Portholland are inhabited by around 40 permanent residents. Virtually all of the properties are owned by the Caerhays Castle Estate, one time home of the ancient Trevallion family. In 1860 the estate and community was sold to the Williams family, whom have sought, to this present day, to making the area a farm based community, detached from the hurley-burley of modern day life. Polsue is an equidistant between Truro, St Austell and St Mawes and is an ideal base for exploring deeper into the natural beauty of the Roseland Peninsula.
The centre for administration, commerce and tourism, Truro, called after Tri-veru, meaning three rivers, has developed over the years as the city of Cornwall. It offers excellent private and public education and Truro College is now re-known for its excellent success in further education.
Archived back to 1293 as Penmene, in Cornish 'Pen' meaning head, end or top, and 'Meneth' meaning hill, thus 'head of the hill' Higher Polmenna was one of 6 single farmsteads of Tretheake Manor and has archived references dating from 1465 to 1776. The early settlement in medieval times was strategically places at the highpoint where streams provided water. 'Poll' in Cornish means 'Pond', hence the name Higher Polmenna. Much of the western part of the Caerhays Eastate was formerly neighboured by the ancient Manor of Tretheake and occupied most of the eastern third of Veryan. It was surveyed as part of the Doomsday book and was originally owned by the Bodruggan family, who lost the land in the War of the Roses to the Edgecumbes of whom were well connected by the Trevannions of Caerhays. Both the local farmsteads of Penheakin and Higher Polmenna, (then owned by the Robartes), were surveyed in 1695 as part of the Lanhydrock Estate. Tretheake and Trevennen were sold by auction by the Edgcumbe family in 1919 where the Caerhays Estate became the area's principal estate. Our clients purchased Higher Polmenna, with no land and requiring restoration a few years ago. They were successfully able to negotiate the purchase of the surrounding pasture land from the Williams family, the current owners of the Caerhays Estate.
Higher Polmenna Today - A brief tour.
From a wrought iron and granite-pillared gateway, a landscaped pathway leads to the impressive covered main entrance portico. A feature are two granite rounded pillars reclaimed from a manor house in the Bodmin area. The (18'9 x 14'7) reception hall has a beautiful oak parquet floor, lime plastered walls, open beams and a fireplace with a ceramic wood burner inset as a focal point. Two openings lead to a dining room and a sitting room. A further doorway leads to the formal drawing room which has a stone inglenook fireplace with a bread oven (with a cast iron door) and a wood burner inset. The room has a matching parquet floor and open beams as the reception room.The dining room has an original flagstone slate floor, inglenook fireplace with bread oven and wood burner inset. The ceiling has open beams. An opening leads to the rear hall which has doors to a stylish cloakroom / wc, utility / boot room and kitchen / breakfast room. At one end is a featured reclaimed staircase which has ornate finials and spindles to the wooden balustrade. The modern and well-equipped light and airy kitchen / breakfast room has an array of shaker style wooden units under beech worktop surfaces which the travertine ceramic tile floor compliments. Centrally to the room is a 6' x 4' island unit with wine cooler, downdraft filtered extractor fan and ceramic hob inset. Other appliances include integrated fridge, dishwasher, freezer, oven and microwave. To one wall stands and efficient electric Aga. From the reception hall, an opening leads past the property's secondary staircase into a delightful sitting room which has a featured Portland stone ornate open fireplace. Double doors lead to the orangery. A doorway leads to a study with its own cloakroom / wc. The (23'6 x 16'8) orangery provides a contrast to the other reception rooms. It captures the beautiful views of the surrounding countryside as well as provide lots of light from its pitched glass ceiling.Off the main landing on the first floor are two of the 6 bedrooms, one with an en suite shower room, the other with a bathroom en suite. Along the inner landing is access to the other bedrooms as well as a stylish family bathroom which serves the 20'1 x 10'10 6th bedroom. The 2nd bedroom has an en suite shower room and a dressing area, cleverly designed over the pillared entrance portico. The 5th bedroom also has an en suite bath / shower room. The main bedroom has a 16' en suite bathroom with separate shower / wet area and vanity basin with 'his and hers' basins.
The curving entrance driveway leads to a concreted courtyard where a 30' x 16' derelict barn is situated to one side and a converted barn to the opposite. This 37' x 18'5 main barn comprises of three individual stables with connecting tack stores as well as a 14'5 x 7' open hay barn. From the courtyard, connecting landscaped paths lead to the gardens and the swimming pool area. To one side of the pool are three stone outbuildings, originally the old piggery, comprising a 8' x 7'10 store, 7'10 x 7'1 water filtration room and 8' x 8'4 private water pump room.
The newly landscaped gardens have still to mature but surround the property, and are bordered by Cornish wall and fencing. A formal entrance path leads to the main entrance. Areas of level lawn are dispersed. To the rear is an outdoor heated pool with patio.
Purchased by our clients are two large paddocks front and rear plus a further area from the gardens to the side. (In total area 8 acres.)
Mains electricity. Private water and drainage. Oil fired central heating. Air source heating for the pool. Electric Aga. Satellite television. Telephone (Broadband enabled).
Energy Performance Certificate Rating – D.
Every effort has been made with these details but accuracy is not guaranteed and they are not to form part of a contract. Representation or warranty is not given in relation to this property. An Energy Performance Certificate is available upon request. All negotiations must be with H Tiddy. Before proceeding to purchase, buyers should consider an independent check of all aspects of the property