This is a rare opportunity to buy a working farm at its price of us$1,500,000. A price in any other currency is to be ignored.
The farm has been worked by the same family business company for the last 34 years. It is the subject of a 99 years lease with approximately 65 years remaining.
The farm has great potential for livestock and game animal ranching. The livestock currently includes pigs, sheep and steers, which are available to be sold separately from the farm.
There is also great potential for a tourist lodge or tented camp, with activities such as rock climbing, cycling, bird watching and hiking. The farm is close to Tarangire National Park and has many resident and passing wildlife.
Following its establishment, the owner company was primarily growing seeds such as beans and flowers for export. In recent years, it has diversified into growing livestock feed, seeds and crops for animal feed and the local market.
Crops which grow well on the farm are beans, sorghum, maize, cowpeas, sunflowers, flowers seeds and hay for bailing. The company has always practiced crop rotation to preserve the soil structure and condition. No fertilizers have been used on the fields for many years. Due to the topography of the farm and the local weather, the practice has been and remains dryland farming.
Other important information provided by the owner company:
• Climate: 1200-1300-meter altitude. Temperatures range from 15-30 C. Rainfall averages around 500 mm annually. Short rains in October-December, long rains in March-May.
• Water: Farm water comes from harvesting systems using roofs and dams.
• Electricity: At the moment, this is supplied by a large generator but the farm is in process of being connected to the national power grid (tanesco). The electricity line is 2.1km away from the farmyard and is on company land.
• Roads and Location: Farm is located 52km south of the main road Dodoma/Arusha, turn off left after Duka Mbovu. The dirt road is passable all year round.
• Farming/Crops: Planting of crops is once per year. The company firmly believes in rotation of the land, meaning, one year a cereal crop, the next year a legume crop and then a year or two fallow, where the livestock can graze. This maintains the healthy quality of the soil and good agricultural productivity.
• Fertilisers/herbicides/insecticides: The company has not used chemical fertilizers for more than ten years. The fields are fertilized by livestock manure and, leaving the unused fields fallow for a year or two, this builds up organic matter, which the company ploughs back in when preparing the field for the coming year. It does not use herbicides and uses insecticides only when absolutely necessary. The minimal use of chemicals is in order to preserve and build the quality of the soil, and to have a healthy ecosystem, as well as to offer more healthy produce.
• Climate change & response: Climate change is one of the reasons the company rotates crops and it always ensures that there is flora coverage on the ground to decrease evaporation and erosion that can lead to soil and crop stress. Due to its water harvesting system, it has water the whole year round as long as there is reasonable rainfall.
The farm has great potential for tourism (lodge or tented camp) business, being only 1.5 hours drive from Arusha town, with beautiful scenery; bush and wildlife, as well as good roads and paths for cycling and walking, plus rock climbing possibilities, as well as the attraction of climbing the nearby Lolkisale Mountain.
On the farm site, there is a manager's house with two bedrooms and one bathroom. There is also a guest house with four bedrooms and two bathrooms.
The company also owns a fine director's house with a separate office on 2.5 acres near Arusha town, for sale at us$250,000. See the separate listing on this website.
These details are provided and intended as a general guide only and do not form a contract or any part of a contract. Intending buyers must make their own investigations and are advised to take appropriate independent legal advice. The final sale price may vary due to currency exchange fluctuations.
Property descriptions and related information displayed on this page, with the exclusion of Running Costs data, are marketing materials provided by Mayfair International Realty, and do not constitute property particulars. Please contact Mayfair International Realty for full details and further information. The Running Costs data displayed on this page are provided by PrimeLocation to give an indication of potential running costs based on various data sources. PrimeLocation does not warrant or accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of the property descriptions, related information or Running Costs data provided here.