City bonus postcodes - No.16: Guildford towns: Shamley Green (GU5), Hascombe (GU8), Chiddingford (GU8)
With many just a 15 minute commute into London, these typical Surrey villages close to Guildford are hugely popular with City bankers and stockbrokers who maintain family homes here for an enviable country lifestyle
The Surrey commuter belt is practically synonymous with bankers and stockbrokers. But some villages attract particular attention, says Mark Jamieson of Strutt Parker: “Bankers and bonus buyers we sell to in this area are driven by train lines – basically, trains to Waterloo from Guildford.
“The prime villages within 15 minutes of Guildford like Shamley Green (GU5), Hascombe (GU8), Chiddingford (GU8), are especially sought-after.
“These are archetypal Surrey villages with greens and lovely detached houses. Houses in the £2-3m bracket with large gardens and grounds (2-4 acres) are the ideal.
“It’s a very picturesque area – what City buyers are looking for is the lifestyle – the schools, the proximity to the country, the strong sense of community.
“We generally sell to families with kids 3 feet tall (prep school age). We’re seen some interest already this year, but I don’t think bonus season this year will be as strong as it as been in previous years. Bear in mind that with a bonus of £1m – maybe 80% of that will be in shares, and it’s heavily taxed, so there won’t be masses of cash to throw around.”
What about the house prices?
Primelocation Index says:
GU5 - down 7%
GU8 - down 7%
- By Mike O'Flynn
- 5 January 2011
The Top 20 Hotspots where bankers buy homes
- No.1: Chelsea, London, SW3
- No.2: Kensington, London, W8
- No.3: Knightsbridge, London, SW5
- No.4: Mayfair, London, W1
- No.5: Marylebone, London, W1
- No.6: Notting Hill, London, W2
- No.7: City & surrounds
- No.8: Docklands/Canary Wharf
- No.9: St Katherine's Dock, London, E1W
- No.10: Fulham, West London, SW6
- No.11: Chiswick, London, W4
- No.12: Battersea, London, SW11
- No.13: Wandsworth, London, SW18
- No.14: Richmond, Middlesex, TW12
- No.15: Wimbledon, London, SW19
- No.16: Guildford towns, GU5, GU8
- No.17: Candover Valley, Hampshire
- No.18: Sevenoaks, Kent, TN15
- No.19: Bridport, West Dorset
- No.20: The Cotswolds
related search results
- Property for sale in Hampshire
- Apartments for sale in The City
- Property for sale in London
Houses in the £2-3m bracket with large gardens and grounds (2-4 acres) are the ideal