City bonus postcodes - No.20: The Cotswolds
There are plenty of celebrities as well as City executives rubbing shoulders in the Cotswolds and more and more are looking for a second home or a country residence in this delightfully English patch of Oxfordshire and Glouchestershire.
Jonathan Bramwell of Savills’ Cotswolds Country Department, says: “It’s very popular with City buyers – especially hedge-fund managers who have offices in Mayfair: the Paddington line provides a good link. Places like Stow-on-the-Wold, Kingham, Moreton-in-Marsh in the north Cotswolds are very sought-after.
“A lot of these guys went to Oxford University and the Dragon School there is a big attraction. Daylesford organic farm shop is a local landmark – it’s like the Harvey Nicks of the area.
“Further south, the market towns of Cirencester and Tetbury are popular, again because of the train links to Paddington. It’s good for hunting and shooting, too, and there’s also the Polo Grounds at Cirencester.
“In terms of prices, it’s about £750,000 for a four-bed house – usually bought as a holiday home – or £2-£5m for a manor house with 5-10 acres. The latter would typically be a main residence – they’d sell the family home in London, move to the country and have a pied-a-terre in the city.”
Celebrities: Liz Hurley, Lily Allen, Jilly Cooper, Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen, Kate Moss, Damien Hirst.
What about the house prices?
Primelocation Index says: Up by 6% over the past year.
- By Mike O'Flynn
- 5 January 2011
The Top 20 Hotspots where bankers buy homes
- No.1: Chelsea, London, SW3
- No.2: Kensington, London, W8
- No.3: Knightsbridge, London, SW5
- No.4: Mayfair, London, W1
- No.5: Marylebone, London, W1
- No.6: Notting Hill, London, W2
- No.7: City & surrounds
- No.8: Docklands/Canary Wharf
- No.9: St Katherine's Dock, London, E1W
- No.10: Fulham, West London, SW6
- No.11: Chiswick, London, W4
- No.12: Battersea, London, SW11
- No.13: Wandsworth, London, SW18
- No.14: Richmond, Middlesex, TW12
- No.15: Wimbledon, London, SW19
- No.16: Guildford towns, GU5, GU8
- No.17: Candover Valley, Hampshire
- No.18: Sevenoaks, Kent, TN15
- No.19: Bridport, West Dorset
- No.20: The Cotswolds
related search results
- Property for sale in Hampshire
- Apartments for sale in The City
- Property for sale in London
Further south, the market towns of Cirencester and Tetbury are popular, again because of the train links to Paddington