City bonus postcodes - No.12: Battersea, SW11
Battersea delivers more bang for your property buck so it's no wonder the surfiet of green space, good schools and lovely period homes attract City workers who're selling up Chelsea boltholes in favour of family homes here
Battersea represents a very definite step on the housing ladder: sell up your flat in Chelsea and move to a house in Battersea.
Alex Oppenheim, of J.D. Wood, explains how it works: “Our typical City buyers will be lawyers, accountants, and bankers. They're usually selling a smaller place in Chelsea - you get twice the space for half the price here.
“They come here for the schools, the green spaces and the location. We’re not talking huge earners here (by City standards) – maybe £200-300,000.
“The really sought-after streets in Battersea are close to the park and the river – Anhalt Road, Albert Bridge Road, Brynmaer Rd, Soundan Road, Kassala Road, are probably the primest.
“Anhalt has 4-5 bed Victorian terraces on a one-way street by the Albert Bridge. It’s a pretty tree-lined street and not too far south of the river, so easy to get to the King’s road for shopping etc. Prices range from £1.9m to £2.4m.
“The mansion blocks are also popular with investors. People buy them to rent out, as part of their investment portfolio, and also keep them for their kids to use when they go to college.”
Celebrities: Dannii Minogue, Jack Dee, Bob Geldof, Dervla Kirwin.
What about the house prices?
Primelocation Index says: down by eight per cent.
- By Mike O'Flynn
- 5 January 2011
The Top 20 Hotspots where bankers buy homes
- No.1: Chelsea, London, SW3
- No.2: Kensington, London, W8
- No.3: Knightsbridge, London, SW5
- No.4: Mayfair, London, W1
- No.5: Marylebone, London, W1
- No.6: Notting Hill, London, W2
- No.7: City & surrounds
- No.8: Docklands/Canary Wharf
- No.9: St Katherine's Dock, London, E1W
- No.10: Fulham, West London, SW6
- No.11: Chiswick, London, W4
- No.12: Battersea, London, SW11
- No.13: Wandsworth, London, SW18
- No.14: Richmond, Middlesex, TW12
- No.15: Wimbledon, London, SW19
- No.16: Guildford towns, GU5, GU8
- No.17: Candover Valley, Hampshire
- No.18: Sevenoaks, Kent, TN15
- No.19: Bridport, West Dorset
- No.20: The Cotswolds
related search results
- Property for sale in Hampshire
- Apartments for sale in The City
- Property for sale in London
The really sought-after streets in Battersea are close to the park and the river