Peper Harow House was originally designed and built by Sir William Chambers who was the architect to King George III, and amongst whose public commissions was Somerset House, London. Sir William Chambers' instructions came from the 3rd Viscount Midleton and he commenced the design for the mansion in 1763.
It is believed that the works were completed in 1777. Since then the house has evolved to meet the family's needs. The Estate remained in the Midleton family for nearly 200 years and in 1947 a charitable trust acquired it for residential and educational purposes. In 1989 a serious fire damaged a major portion of the mansion. However, with the advice and assistance of English Heritage, the house was restored.
In 1998, Peper Harow House underwent restoration and sympathetic alterations to create seven apartments and two wings. The property has been finished to a very high specification and has the benefit of a video entry system to the courtyard and main doors and the use of a central lift which can be accessed from all floors.
The accommodation is arranged over three floors with the four original chimneypieces designed by Sir William Chambers and made by his fellow Royal Academician, Joseph Wilton.
Peper Harow House occupies an outstanding location within Peper Harow Park, a small private estate, comprising of a few country homes, cottages and a church.
The property is located in an enviable position, approached along a long private drive through its own park, but having access onto the A3.
The house has uninterrupted views over parkland, which was designed and executed by Lancelot 'Capability' Brown, the River Wey, surrounding countryside, and one of the earliest cricket fields in England.
Guildford, the county town of Surrey (about 6.5 miles to the north), offers extensive shopping and recreational facilities and a mainline station to Waterloo (about 35 minutes). Other local facilities are available at Godalming and Milford, both within about 3 miles and both also have mainline stations to Waterloo.
The M25, via the A3, gives access to both Heathrow and Gatwick airports, and the national motorway network.
There are excellent schooling facilities including Charterhouse and Priorsfield in Godalming; Lanesborough, Guildford High School for Girls and the Royal Grammar School in Guildford; and St Catherine's in Bramley.
There are also extensive sporting facilities nearby, including the Spectrum centre in Guildford; polo at Cowdray; and acres of surrounding countryside ideal for walking, riding and other country pursuits.
The Peper Harow Estate, which is believed to date back to Saxon times, is classified as being within a Conservation Area, an area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and an Area of Great Landscape Value.