An exceptional and historic Grade II listed village house.
Blockley is situated within the Cotswold Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty between Chipping Campden and Moreton-in-Marsh. A large part of the village is designated as a Conservation Area to protect its rich history. The village has a thriving community enjoying a Post Office, park, village shop and café, primary school, hotel, two public houses, three village halls and a sports and social club. Blockley was voted the best place to live in the south west by the Sunday Times in 2017.
The village lies 3.5 miles from Chipping Campden school (rated ‘Outstanding‘ by Ofsted in 2017). Moreton-in-Marsh (3.5 miles) has a mainline rail station serving Worcester, Oxford and London Paddington. Cirencester, Stratford-upon-Avon and Cheltenham offer an excellent choice of shops, leisure and cultural amenities and schools.
The countryside is designated as a special landscape area and is perfect for walking and riding. There are many historic houses and gardens in the immediate locality.
The Cotswolds’ year is packed with events, ranging from world famous international festivals like Cheltenham Literature Festival or Cheltenham Gold Cup Week to major musical events like the Wilderness Festival, Cornbury Festival or the Big Feastival, as well a jam-packed events calendar featuring music, exhibitions, arts and literature festivals, theatrical productions.
Rodney’s is an ‘Admiral’s House’, a rarity in landlocked Gloucestershire. Once owned by Admiral Sir Edward Collier kcb, cb, the house is named after hms Rodney, his last command. Sir Edward was born in Blockley in 1783 and joined the Navy in 1797. He had a long and illustrious naval career and was at the heart of many battles across the globe receiving promotions and medals before becoming Admiral of the Blue in 1862. He retired to Blockley in 1865 becoming a magistrate and Deputy Lieutenant and donating land for a new school and police station.
The house, which was constructed by Sir Edward’s father in the early 19th century, is Grade II listed and is beautifully situated on St George’s Terrace in the heart of Blockley, set back from the road behind railings. The house has a fine ashlar façade with sash windows beneath a hipped tiled roof. Internally there are many period features including ceiling roses, ornate cornicing and fireplaces. Rodney’s provides flexible living accommodation with well-proportioned rooms and high ceilings. Large sash windows with original shutters allow light to flood in. Far reaching views can be enjoyed from many of the rooms.
The accommodation briefly comprises a handsome reception hall with doors leading to the principal reception rooms. The formal dining room is beautifully proportioned with windows to the front and an attractive fireplace housing a wood burning stove. The drawing room and sitting room are equally impressive with wonderful proportions and sash windows. The drawing room has a fireplace with wood burning stove.
The kitchen/breakfast room is fitted with a comprehensive range of base and wall units and a large island unit. There is ample space for a large table with chairs. A door leads to an inner lobby which provides access to a well-appointed utility room and office. The double garage can be accessed directly from the utility room.
An elegant staircase rises from the reception hall to the first floor landing. The principal bedroom suite comprises a superb bedroom leading to a beautifully appointed bathroom. There are four further excellent bedrooms on the first floor, study, a family bathroom and family shower room. On the second floor is bedroom six with en suite bathroom. The property benefits from an extensive cellar which comprises a very impressive wine cellar, larder and boiler room.
The gardens to the front are generously stocked with shrubs and specimen trees.
A stone terrace lies across the front elevation and is perfect for enjoying the views across the green. Vehicular access is to the side of the property via double gates and along the rear elevation, terminating at the double garage and parking area. The formal rear garden is divided into three terraces with herbaceous borders, mature shrubs, specimen trees and areas of manicured lawn.
Stone steps allow access between the terraces. Tucked away in the far corner is a charming pavilion summerhouse, from which there are far reaching views, with leaded light windows and a pointed shingle roof. The summerhouse has lighting, heating and power points. Red brick paving separates the formal gardens from the productive part which includes a traditional greenhouse with light, heating and power points and a good sized kitchen garden with raised beds. There are impressive views from most parts of the front and back gardens, as well as the house itself.
Square Footage: 4760 sq ft
Acreage: 0.48 Acres
Upon entering Blockley from the A44, proceed through the village and past the large green which is behind a stone wall. Continue up the hill and the property will be found directly ahead (opposite the green) as the road bears to the right.