A substantial Grade II* listed wing of a Georgian country house set within beautiful, mature communal grounds.
• Exning House stands on the north eastern edge of the west Suffolk village of Exning. Newmarket, the home of English racing, is just two miles to the south and there is ready access from the village onto the A14 east coast trunk road which leads in the west to the high tech University City of Cambridge, the M11, A1, M1 & M6 and to the east coast ports.
• There is a supermarket with post office within the village and more comprehensive shopping facilities in Newmarket (including a large Waitrose supermarket).
• For the commuter, there are rail services from Newmarket station into Cambridge and mainline services from Whittlesford into London's Liverpool Street station. London's Kings Cross services are available from Cambridge.
• There are local schools in Newmarket in both the public and independent sectors, together with a variety of renowned independent schools in Cambridge and the surrounding region.
Superbly presented, this stunning house offers exceptional, high quality accommodation arranged over four floors. The deep Georgian sash windows provide for lovely light-filled rooms.
On the ground floor an impressive reception hall approached via stone steps from the front leads to a grand staircase hall. On this floor there is a fine drawing room with floor to ceiling sash windows overlooking the gardens which connects with a garden/dining room with extensive glazing, overlooking the grounds. The kitchen has been beautifully fitted with a large four oven Aga and adjacent dual fuel module. The Shaker style hand painted kitchen has granite work surfaces together with a central island unit with integrated Miele appliances together with an American style refrigerator.
The lower ground floor incorporates a cinema room complete with Lutron mood lighting, an integrated cinema system with remote controlled Sky digibox, DVD and video, amplifier and projector with electrically operated drop down screen. Adjacent is a games room/gym, a large utility housing the comprehensive central heating installation, and an original wine cellar. Both of the upper floors are accessed by the magnificent sweeping turning staircase with an original pendant chandelier with two separate glazed lanterns, one at each level.
On the first floor there are two bedroom suites and a smaller nursery bedroom or study. The main bedroom suite has a large dressing room and a high quality en suite bathroom. At second floor level there are three further bedrooms and two bathrooms (one en suite) and a sixth smaller bedroom which has been converted into a dressing room. All the bathrooms are of high quality benefiting from underfloor heated limestone flooring, high quality, stylish sanitary ware, high pressure showers and period style baths. The accommodation layout, room sizes and aspects are shown in detail on the attached floor plans.
Outside, the house is accessed over a private drive serving this and the adjacent house, Rossetti Hall together with The Lodge House. There are electric gates and entry phone security. A spur of the drive which passes through the delightfully landscaped mature grounds leads to a pair of weather-boarded double garages. One of the double garages belongs to the Gainsborough Wing. The property also has a private terrace accessed directly from the dining hall. The gardens are communal and include a tennis court which can be used by all residents. In all 8.34 acres of communal grounds.
The properties are held on 999 leases from February 2002 with the freehold belonging to the Management Company, a share in which is included with the property. An annual service charge is levied on all the properties which covers, gardening, maintenance of the grounds and buildings insurance. For further details see below:
Gainsborough Wing is the oldest part of Exning House, which formed the central part of the 3,000 acre Exning Estate, and dates from 1734. The property was sold in 1891 and in 1895 the new owner commissioned the renowned architect Philip Webb to construct a large extension to the original Georgian property, the larger part of which is now the Rosetti Hall which is a Grade II* listed building.
The Gainsborough Wing is also listed Grade II* and was variously used as a home, care home and now following a comprehensive refurbishment and conversion programme which was completed in 2005 there are 10 residential units on the gated site.
Management Company and Service Charges
The management company is responsible for maintenance of the grounds, external painting, building's insurance and the tennis court. Each property holds a share in the management company which also owns the freehold. The service charge for Gainsborough Wing is £5,200 per annum (2020 to 2021) payable in two instalments.
Square Footage: 7738 sq ft
Acreage: 8.34 Acres