For Sale to Close an Estate.
This property is situated in an elevated position in the unspoilt rural landscape of the Welsh Border countryside and commands views on a clear day as far as the Malvern Hills. The cottage is located a little over two miles from the village of Garway with its primary school and village inn whilst a wide range of facilities is available in the nearby City of Hereford (14 miles) and the towns of Monmouth (11 miles), Ross-on-Wye (15 miles) and Abergavenny (16 miles) approximately.
Sale Particulars of:
A Semi-detached stone-built Cottage, Garden and Small Stone Barn with potential being part of the former public house once owned by the Hereford & Tredegar Brewery and then known as “The Rising Sun Inn”, now providing an ideal subject for sympathetic restoration
The cottage, which has been in the present family's ownership for numerous decades, was originally part of the Rising Sun Inn, it is constructed of local stone with one rendered elevation, standing under a part slated, felted and part corrugated cement fibre roof. The accommodation, which is in need of modernisation and improvement at present comprises:-
On the Ground Floor:
Part glazed front door to
entrance porch, 4'6" x 2'4"
kitchen/ living room 13'8" x 10'8"
enjoying front aspect and having a Terrazzo tiled threshold and part flagstone surfaced floor, high ceiling, fireplace with old cast iron solid fuel range, built-in Pine dresser with plate rack, single drainer stainless steel sink unit (c), electricity trip board and two double power points.
Sitting room 12'2" min. X 11'2"
with view to front, solid floor with brown carpet, fireplace with enamelled cast iron solid fuel range, window seat and four double power points.
dairy 9'10" min. X 8'8"
with flagstone floor, cast iron range (incomplete), open tread stairs to
On the First Floor:
bedroom (1) 12'3" x 10'4"
A double room enjoying front aspect with far-ranging views. Fireplace.
Bedroom (2) 10'7" x 9' min.
Another double room with rear aspect.
From the Kitchen/Living room, a door at the rear gives access to a
workshop/store 13'8" excl. Stairs x 11'3"
with a mainly earth floor, more recently used as a Fuel Store/Workshop having 7’ wide approx. Double doors leading outside. This room could easily lend itself to the provision of further living space. Stairs; the lower three steps having been removed for internal access to the workshop/store, lead off to the
First Floor former function room 26’ x 14’ approx.
A surprisingly spacious room having two aspects and a fireplace with cast iron bedroom type insert. This room, which was known locally as “The Ballroom” and has historically been the venue for many social events, could lend itself to use as a first floor Sitting Room to take advantage of the views or alternatively could be adapted to provide additional sleeping accommodation.
The property is situated abutting the stone surfaced lane, which leads up to Garway Hill Common, it is fronted by a narrow strip set back from the verge, whilst to the side is an area to the rear of which there used to be an outhouse, which collapsed some years ago. This space would, with a little levelling, be suited to the creation of a convenient parking area. The principal garden, which is currently down to grass, is slightly elevated and abuts the lane being fronted by a stone wall and a hedge. At the extremity of the lane frontage is situated a Small Stone Barn internally 14’11” x 9’ 7”, this building may have potential for use as a workshop or studio subject of course to any required permissions, it is approximately 10’10” to the eaves and about 15’9” to the apex. The 1975 ordnance survey map shows that there were additional structures to both ends of the building but these are not now obvious due to undergrowth although the walls to part of the extension to the eastern end are still obvious, these enclosing an area of 10’11” x 7’10”. The garden slopes gently, has a south-easterly aspect and enjoys very pleasant rural outlooks over the surrounding countryside.
Mains electricity has until relatively recently been utilised at the property, it is however at present disconnected. There is a mains water connection into the cottage but only to a cold tap in the kitchen sink. A private drainage system will be required as no sanitation is provided. None of the services, nor any of the fixtures and fittings included in these sale particulars has been tested.
Vacant Possession will be given upon completion.
Offers in the region of £155,000 are invited for the whole. The family had considered splitting the property, to which end a new dividing fence was erected and it is still possible that the property could be divided, dependent upon offers received.
Strictly by Appointment through the Sole Agents. As mentioned earlier the property is in need of considerable renovation and any persons viewing the property do so at their own risk. Please be sure to park sensibly on the roadside, as the access lane in front of the property is in regular use and should not be obstructed.
The property is best approached from Pontrilas by taking the road towards Bagwyllydiart, here turning right signposted Garway Hill. After 1/3 mile, keep right at the “Garway Hill Methodist Chapel”, continue along the lane and after just over a mile, just after a telephone kiosk on the left hand side and opposite a post box on the left hand side and just before a road junction (signposted Garway & Monmouth) Upper Sun Cottage is to be found a few paces up the stone surfaced lane opposite The postcode of the property is understood to be HR2 8EZ but this is unlikely to take you to the door.
Upper Sun Cottage was, many years ago, part of one of the local inns owned by the Hereford & Tredegar Brewery and was then known as “The Rising Sun Inn”. It is understood that on the 10th November, 1934 the brewery sold the Inn and Shop & Post Office for £1,020 to a John Beavan of Grosmont, the inn was apparently de-licensed and was to be known as “Sun House” and “Sun Post Office”. It seems that on the 17th March, 1945 John Beavan sold the entire property to a Leonard Sayce, who in turn on the 19th March, 1945 sold the “Sun House” (the now Upper Sun Cottage) part of the premises to George Hodges for £410. Some time later Leonard Sayce sold the other part of the premises; to be known as “The Sun Post Office”, to Herbert Gardiner who was George Hodges’ brother in law. When George Hodges and his wife passed away the property was passed on to their son and daughter Thomas Hodges and Gwyneth Smith and Thomas Hodges continued to live in the house from 1945 until shortly before he passed away in 2015.
Which is accessed along the lane, which fronts Upper Sun Cottage, is a prominent local landmark and common upon which various local farmers exercise grazing rights. A footpath leading to the summit, surprisingly, passes a pond and from the summit, which attains an elevation of some 1,200 feet above mean sea level, extraordinary panoramic views are to be witnessed and it is said that seven counties can be seen.