City bonus postcodes - No.9: St Katherine Docks, E1W
With excellent facilities and transport links, St Katherine Docks' modern apartments and warehouse conversions are popular with well-paid top city lawyers whose long hours mean they need a bolthole close to work
St Katherine Docks bills itself as one of the best kept secret locations in central London, but it’s no secret to anyone working in the Square Mile. “It’s very popular with City workers,” says David Salvi of Hurford Salvi Carr.
“Why? Because it has excellent facilities – a marina, shops, restaurants, cultural activities, a food market. The transport links are also very good for City workers too - Tower Hill tube & Tower Gateway stations are a short walk away.
“Our buyers are typically well-paid lawyers from top firms (like Clifford Chance, Linklaters, Allen & Overy, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer) – the so called magic circle of legal firms that do big mergers and acquisitions, corporate work and government contracts.
“They tend to be in their 40s and have a family home in the leafy southern suburbs – Richmond, Wimbledon, Wandsworth. They work very long hours and have to be in London so they need a place close to work.
“You’ll pay £500-800k for a two-bedroom apartment here. There’s a good mix of new-build and warehouse conversions. You’ll also get younger single buyers in this market looking for a penthouse or a loft for £1-2m.”
What about the houser prices?
The Primelocation Index says: up by 6% over the past year.
- By Mike O'Flynn
- 5 January 2011
The Top 20 Hotspots where bankers buy homes
- No.1: Chelsea, London, SW3
- No.2: Kensington, London, W8
- No.3: Knightsbridge, London, SW5
- No.4: Mayfair, London, W1
- No.5: Marylebone, London, W1
- No.6: Notting Hill, London, W2
- No.7: City & surrounds
- No.8: Docklands/Canary Wharf
- No.9: St Katherine's Dock, London, E1W
- No.10: Fulham, West London, SW6
- No.11: Chiswick, London, W4
- No.12: Battersea, London, SW11
- No.13: Wandsworth, London, SW18
- No.14: Richmond, Middlesex, TW12
- No.15: Wimbledon, London, SW19
- No.16: Guildford towns, GU5, GU8
- No.17: Candover Valley, Hampshire
- No.18: Sevenoaks, Kent, TN15
- No.19: Bridport, West Dorset
- No.20: The Cotswolds
related search results
- Property for sale in Hampshire
- Apartments for sale in The City
- Property for sale in London
Our buyers are typically well-paid lawyers from top firms