City bonus postcodes - No.4: Marylebone, W1
In recent years Marylebone has become cool enough to attract the likes of Sienna Miller, Madonna and Noel Gallagher, but it also attracts a lot of City money.
Christian Lock-Necrews, head of sales at Savills, explains the attraction: “One key reason is that it has great links to Canary Wharf via the Jubilee and District lines. It’s become very popular in recent years and we sell a lot to City buyers. We’ve seen a lot of Goldman Sachs employees over the years.
“Mews houses are popular with couples and young families, priced between £2m-£4m. Devonshire Mews South would be very sought-after, as would Devonshire Place Mews.
“Large lateral apartments in portered mansion blocks are also a big draw - especially with overseas buyers – but they need to be a turn-key proposition, interior designed and finished, right down to the soap dishes. Buyers like this don’t have time to think about curtains!
“There are some fine Georgian houses here too – we recently one to a City banker for £7m. But they don’t come on the market very often. Usually our buyers are purchasing a main home (British) or a pied-a-terre. We get a lot of City buyers from overseas here – lots of Russians and Americans, and also Indians and Europeans.”
What about the prices?
The Primelocation Index says: down 2% over the past year.
- By Mike O'Flynn
- 5 January 2011
The Top 20 Hotspots where bankers buy homes
- No.1: Chelsea, London, SW3
- No.2: Kensington, London, W8
- No.3: Knightsbridge, London, SW5
- No.4: Mayfair, London, W1
- No.5: Marylebone, London, W1
- No.6: Notting Hill, London, W2
- No.7: City & surrounds
- No.8: Docklands/Canary Wharf
- No.9: St Katherine's Dock, London, E1W
- No.10: Fulham, West London, SW6
- No.11: Chiswick, London, W4
- No.12: Battersea, London, SW11
- No.13: Wandsworth, London, SW18
- No.14: Richmond, Middlesex, TW12
- No.15: Wimbledon, London, SW19
- No.16: Guildford towns, GU5, GU8
- No.17: Candover Valley, Hampshire
- No.18: Sevenoaks, Kent, TN15
- No.19: Bridport, West Dorset
- No.20: The Cotswolds
related search results
- Property for sale in Hampshire
- Apartments for sale in The City
- Property for sale in London
Large lateral apartments in portered mansion blocks are also a big draw